Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Ketchup Worshiper

When the beauteous and talented Janaki Nagaraj asks you to guest post for her blog Memoirs of a Homemaker you just can't say no to her. Her Poetry blog is avidly followed and rated amongst the top. 

After much procrastination I came up with this saucy post.....
 
Courtesy - Google images


The title says it all. This is going to be a dedication to those unique specimens to whom the thought of food without ketchup is like a movie without item-numbers. A magic potion that makes broccoli bearable, fries scrumptious, bread-pakoras slurpcious. With ketchup on your side, you feel invincible, courageous enough to stab a heap of boiled spinach and manoeuvre it towards your mouth, say yes to the boiled piece of chicken that Mrs Mehra has so lovingly prepared in your honour. It’s your best friend who never lets you down.

One of my earliest memories of school is of a classmate who ate everything with ketchup. Be it parantha, boiled eggs or even sandwiches. Having spent most of my formative years partaking paranthas, puris, kachoris with jam, I found this habit of hers rather weird. This was till I discovered the sinful taste of Maggi Chilli Garlic sauce and then I was damaged for life.

Let’s just say it was love at first lick. One look at it and I knew we were destined to be together for ever. I mean, who in his/her right mind can resist the taste of sweet and tarty tomatoes tingling with chillies and garlic. The heady burst of aroma and taste is capable of uplifting even the most insipid to sensuous highs.


To read more, click here...




18 comments:

  1. Also pasting my comment here!

    **
    I start my day with tomato chilli ketchup on any breakfast item.. with cereals and oats being the only exception i guess :P
    As usual, quite “wittily” written..loved the last para, it’s bang on target!
    **

    ReplyDelete
  2. love ketchup..it makes a sorry burger/sandwich palatable :)

    http://www.myunfinishedlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also need ketchup in everything I eat.....except sweet dishes :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally,I am no fan of Ketchups.After reading this post,it surprises me as to why are excellent writers like yourself are not being retained for product promotion in Blogsphere and I sincerely mean it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep getting offers to promote products on my blog but say a firm no to them :-)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the last para takes the cake ! I do not even remember ever dipping my food in sauce.. ! Certainly not a fan...and do not buy at home as well..My hubby is very unlikely to have tasted it ever in his life...he hates any bottled, tinned food! Well, our traditional Malayali cuisine is all of red chillies and peppers we actually dont need any sauce to sauce up our food :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I. Love. Malayalee. Cuisine. I think I was a Keralite in my last birth.

      Delete
  7. Purba this was yet another post that I would have regretted having not read, even now belated ! A saucy post indeed:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Btw, I searched again this wknd..and didn't get the sauce :( I think it must be there in the bay area..moved from bay area naa..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the lady who informed me that she still gets it, is from the Bay area.

      Delete

Psst... let me know what you are thinking.