Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Fishy Affair

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers

Like most Indian kids, I was brought up in a family that constantly ‘encouraged’ me to study harder and do well enough to make our relatives jealous. Marriage, love, boyfriends were taboo subjects, so much so that I was convinced that my parents had no intention of getting me married and would make me study for the rest of my wretched life. The only time my Mom did mention marriage was when I refused to eat fish. She’d bemoan my un-Bengali like habits and prophesy that I’d get married to a rice and fish loving typical Bengali boy.   


I did get hitched to a guy who loves his fish as much as he loves me. Since marriage is all about trying to change each other for the ‘better’, I have now evolved into a fish loving person and he has his baigan ka bharta without a murmur of protest.

Over two years of having the freshest seafood of all sizes and shapes from the seas of Australia, so under-spiced that you can taste the salt water that your dish ingested, I consider myself a sort of connoisseur. In fact, the last time when the husband kept the Salmon almost raw, because it was so fresh, I forked it into my mouth without going blue in the face.

Whole Red Snapper

Last week, when Sangeeta Khanna, a friend I admire and whose food blog is the holy grail of healthy eating asked me to join her for a fish degustation lunch hosted by Le Meredien, New Delhi, I promptly accepted her gracious offer.

We were a cosy group of six including Anasuya Basu, Le Meredien’s Director of Marketing Communications, high on shared camaraderie and a belly full of expectations, once we had gone through the menu for our luncheon. The restaurant, Le Belvedere, on the 20th floor of the hotel, gives a panoramic view of Lutyen’s Delhi. Despite the smog, we couldn’t help but admire the view. 



Pomfret in Black Bean Sauce

The Juicy Scallops

The seafood spread was a sight to behold and we spent a good ten minutes just clicking pictures. The restaurant flies in all their seafood from Kochi and the scallops from Canada. Glistening scallops sitting primly on a bed of juicy Shitake mushrooms and crunchy snowpeas, flavoured delicately with chilly bean sauce were the plumpest I’ve ever seen. The Pomfret served in black bean sauce was passable and I found it too bony to tackle with my fork. The Red snapper batter-fried (unnecessarily so) whole and dunked in XO sauce was tender, cooked just right, the sauce adding just the right zing. But the star of the show was the lobster - tender, fresh, expertly-spiced; with juliennes of red chillies complementing its taste. Most restaurants in India prefer serving the classic French version – Lobster Thermidor doused in butter and cheese, with a side of guilt; I was pleasantly surprised by Chef Balkrishan Khurana’s version. We ended the entrées with generous chunks of Sea Bass with skin, seasoned with black bean sauce hit just the right notes. 
Sea Bass in Hot Bean Sauce


I

The Lobster - a sight to behold
shamelessly asked for a repeat of scallops and between sips of wine and raucous laughter over shared anecdotes, we all promised to meet again.

Before I finish, I must mention the desserts. Chef Balkrishan insisted that we try their date pancakes and toffee banana.
Since I was full to my gills, I decided to skip desserts but did take a nibble of the date pancake which was a filo parcel with a date centre. It was light and not cloyingly sweet. The toffee banana looked decadent and was polished off by others. 

Sangeeta Khanna has shared the recipe of Pan roasted king scallop in chilly bean sauce here.

Le Meredien starts their seafood promotion from 14th of this month, a good excuse for you all to sample their delicious fare. 

The Big Fish with Small Fish
                    


45 comments:

  1. There are tears in my eyes seeing such awesomely done seafood... that lobster!! oh man :) Who do I have to bribe to get this sent as a parcel to my operation theatre as lunch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, don't you live in the land of seafood? Give me Malabari Prawns, Fish Moilee any day!

      Delete
  2. Sangeeta, being a vegetarian I am a baigan ka bharta aficionado. Next time Meridian hosts something for baingan lovers do invite me!!
    Must have been fun Purba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sangeeta loves her fish as much as you love your Baigan bharta, btw :-)

      Delete
  3. This post was not for me it seems.Just when i come to my favorite dish-the dessert-you decide to skip it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it's because I skipped dessert :/

      Delete
  4. For me it's Salmon,Salmon,Salmon. I can go to any extent to get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do we get good Salmon in Gurgaon? Yet to have it.

      Delete
  5. Have seen and smelled a lot of seafood allover but stuck to eating grass! A spread of that kind would have been a lip smacking affair for a seafood lover like you, Purba! The pictures and the description was befitting the delectable fare:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my veggies as much as I like my seafood. And I missed having a lot of our veggies in Australia.

      Delete
  6. Hmm a guy "who eats his baigan ka bharta without a murmur of protest. ".. yo sure are one lucky lady.... or one hell of a husband trainer :) Stay away from my wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha @ husband trianer. Let's call it a mutual training association.

      Delete
  7. hehe! Remember how Mom would threaten me if I don't eat fish, my brain would remain small. She's a fish lover while I'm not...Didn't know you are a lover of seafood:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful spread.
    I have never tasted toffee banana before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I and don't intend to either.

      Delete
  9. Really very delicious. Eager to eat this, Waiting for that day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good write up, Purba. When I'm next in Delhi I'd love to visit the 20th floor of Le Meredien. Sad about the smog spoiling the view, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you're in Delhi, I'll take you around.

      Delete
  11. Fish ! I will not forgive you for these pics ! I am already hungry !:-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't keep a Mallu away from fish :p

      Delete
  12. Yummmm sea food. I am crazy about sea food. I am so jealous of you Purba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Adjusts the green halo around her head*

      Delete
  13. Fish was the most fav food of mine until I stopped eating meat...now you made me crave for some spicy fish pulusu(Gravy curry) that my mom makes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love sea food especially prawns and lobsters. Fish, I don't like the smelly ones. But the red snapper, pomfret, sea bass look yummy. When are you taking me with you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough to get invited by Sangeeta. The only invites I get are - F1 racing championships. save the child campaign and boring conferences.

      Delete
  15. Fish? Meh! Married to a Bong woman, so have learned to eat a little bit. Can't say I really enjoy it. A bit of salmon curry now and then, peti maachi reserved for the jamai, shrimp in moderation. Definitely no lobster or scallops or calamari or octopi.. shudder!

    I make a mean baingan bharta. I took all the pictures last time and have been to post the recipe one of these days.

    Here is my tale of my adventures with Fish:

    http://sloword.wordpress.com/2013/08/08/fish/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Octopi makes me shudder, If I have to have it, I have it my my eyes closed :p

      Delete
    2. I don't have to eat it. Another thing - none of us tried the banger thang in France.

      Delete
  16. Ufff just loved the article...Could not resist myself from reading each of those lines mentioned.....I love to eat sea fish as well...thank u for sharing the wonderful article...keep posting with lots more....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the post even though I am not such a big seafood fan but your words have enticed me to try these delicacies asap.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh God...What can I say except that I wish I was there too.... I love Fish! God! I'll need to prepare the Hilsa today to satisfy me after seeing this :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you ever tried Octopus?! I have...a complete seafood dinner surprise treat by my hubby on my budday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have and didn't like it at all. Too chewy for my taste.

      Delete
  20. Hmm....getting a Bong for the PR activity of a sea food festival. Stereotyping much?

    ReplyDelete

Psst... let me know what you are thinking.