Monday, November 15, 2010

While I Was Sleeping........

Trisha came up with this story while indulging in her most favoured activity. Have I told you her favourite flicks include ...Sleeping Beauty, Sleepy Hollow, While You Were sleeping, Sleepless in Seattle, Sleeping with the Enemy.........

Image courtesy :clipartof.com

Napoleon, Marx, Shakespeare and the endless procession of eminent individuals that every student curses; as days turn into nights and the syllabus stretched into infinity. Red eyes ringed with dark circles, I got up. “I’m going for a walk.” My voice croaked from disuse. No, seriously, I’d reached the limit of my attention span (i.e 45 minutes) and the idea of a walk seemed pretty appealing. There’s a forest area surrounding my residential complex and the trees swayed invitingly. As I walked, the temperature began to dip. Suddenly tired, I sat down and leaned against a tree trunk. Light filtered in from the canopy above. It was so comfortable. My limbs loosened and my eyes closed...

I wake with a start. What’s this wet, white powdery stuff? I shake it out of my hair. I notice little chunks of it sliding down my arms. Can this be...snow? In Delhi, at this time of the year? I run towards my house, people are moving sluggishly through the snow. I run out onto a road. Strange cars whizz by. One car stops, a window is rolled down- “Hey, are you lost? Do you need a ride?” I shake my head and move on. I cross the road carelessly and a car screeches to a halt. “I’m so sorry! Are you okay? Be careful...” Now that’s weird- polite Delhi-ites? Am I dreaming? My clothes look outdated somehow. People throw curious looks in my direction, and then quickly turn away. I reach a towering building, I can’t see the top. People are moving in and out in a continuous stream. I go up to one of them and ask if I could use her mobile phone. “You mean my mini-comm right? Why do you need to use such archaic terms? Sure, darling.” Archaic?? I dial in my mum’s cell number. A metallic voice declares, “The number you have dialled does not exist”. “Excuse me,” I say, “is there a network problem or something?” She checks the number. “Munchkins, you’ve definitely dialled the wrong number. No phone number is less than 13 digits.” I forget to thank her as I flee. Crazy, I’m definitely going mad. Finally, a familiar sign! I go, grateful for a haven from the freezing cold, into a Barista. Warm coffee smells had never smelt so nice before. But I don’t spot any chairs or tables.  Err...am I supposed to have my coffee standing? The floor rumbles. Alarmed, I step neatly out of the way as what I thought was a floor design rises out of the floor to magically become...2 chairs and a table. A cute guy appears out of nowhere and pulls the chair out, holds it in place and says, “Please, let me.” Speechless, I sit down. “May I order something for you?” he asks. “Um, sure.” I have no cash, so I may as well accept. A cappuccino later, I ask the guy about the freak snow. He gives me a strange look. “It’s been snowing for 20 years, don’t you know? The big shots of various governments had to counter global warming, so they came up with this ‘ingenious’ plan to shoot a bunch of micro-reflectors into the atmosphere. They managed to mess it up, so we’ll be stuck with snowfall for a century.” Twenty years ago? “What year is it?” I ask. “A.D or P.A?” I don’t bother asking what P.A means, “A.D”. “Um, let’s see...my math is awful....it’ll be around 2060, I guess. Are you okay? You’ve gone all pale.” “Yes, absolutely. Thanks for the coffee, I’ll be off now.”

2060...2060??? What does THAT mean? I should be...66 years old in 2060. I’m still definitely 16. I check myself for wrinkles. Aging gracefully, I think. This is so not funny. I don’t know anything about what happened in these 50 lost years! I don’t know where my friends are, where my family is. The world changed around me, and time charged ahead without me. Please, God, let this be a dream! I’m drained and so tired. I need to sleep, just for a bit. I want to escape from this nightmare. My limbs loosen and my eyes close...



37 comments:

  1. ha ha i loved the idea of surface computing , the way chairs and tables would pop out of nowhere! Ah, i wish I can wake up to one such future ;) even i won't mind waking up rewinded to history

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great imagination! Delhi in 2060..Snowfall..maybe! But tell how were the roads in Gurgaon? Repaired or not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sleeping girl's nightmare is a Snow Leopard's heaven. Let there be snow. :P
    And we Delhi-ites are very polite. And I mean the Delhi Delhi-ites, not our poor Gurgaon cousins. ;)
    And by the way, did I mention "nice imagination"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! If Delhi has snow for 20 years, what happens to good old Bangalore? Uhmmmm, I presume we'd we a tiny island by then, or a cool coastal area.

    Trisha's got some imagination! I'm glad they still have cappuccino in 2060 ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe..good one. I was thinking the same as mazingout has expressed above - good to know we still will have cappuccino in 2060!
    When is Trisha starting her blog?She will do well too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I wish my mom had a blog when I was sixteen....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I told Trisha the same thing, Cappuccino in 2060?? Can you please change the coffee. But the girl didn't budge and it's her story after all.

    Giribala...I wish my Mum had a computer when I was 16 :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cool.. Considering the fact that i have exams round the corner, i wish i too could wake up in the futre:(

    ReplyDelete
  9. nicely written.... :)
    trisha sleeps a lot :O..delhi can never change!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ms.Trish Ray Winkle?
    very imaginative future shock!!
    eminently readable!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Lakshmi Ranjan- Kind of like he opposite of what happens now- chairs and tables disappearing faster than you can say, "Excuse me"
    @Alka Gurha- The future HUDA is still working on it
    @Snow Leopard & Mazingout- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can very well understand, I too had a dream like this.
    And now I'll ask my Mom to write a blog, so what I am little above 16 my brother is 16. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Harish & Magiceye- Inspired by Alice/ Van Winkle :p
    @Always Happy, Daanish, Giribala, blinded locations, Prateek- :-)
    @Purba- Mum, I like cappuccino, so there!
    @Pereception- Wish I could too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice Article very useful for me.Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice Article very useful for me.Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trisha, you would do well to fall asleep again and try and figure out for me if there are still golf courses around 30 years hence...while about it please also check for scotch, and of course darjeeling tea with samosas..once you confirm this, i can decide whether i want to hang in there or not..
    loved it

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not an entirely far-fetched idea for the future, with the whole global warming issue surely such a sight isn't really far off! BTW, do you remember what exactly did the 'mini-comm' looks like? I'd like to know what's the next hand gadget i should be looking to invest in after the i-phone? :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved your trip into the future. When are you going to sleep again? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Imagination is the only honest creativity in the world! This story reiterates it again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Mari- :-)
    @Menon (uncle :D)- um, let's see...possible outcomes- Golfing on ice, BT Samosa (as in BT Brinjal) with automatic spice adjuster...Scotch is not exactly my area of expertise (underage)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Wildflower- It'll be a kind of chip that you insert in your hand...voice- recognition of course and u just make a phone using your thumb and pinky finger..:-D
    @Zephyr, Aditya- thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sounds Cool! after watching that movie 2012(crappy!) your imaginations are much more welcome. With the wonderful winter snow we have each year in north america, preceded by the colors of fall..such imaginations are much more welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What happens next? Obviously, you wake up from your dream. :P BTW, nice one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was so wonderfully imaginative! She had me gripped! More of her stories please :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice imagination... and interesting story :D snow in Delhi!!! :D ya anythings possible ...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Exquisitely written. However, there is something seriously wrong with the idea of 'polite Delhites'. Please, your dream is an unfathomable threat to the Cosmic Equilibrium.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ a superb expressive presentation of thoughts. expensive style of writing.
    short of words for praise, sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank God Trisha didn't age...sweet 16 is too nice to suddenly become wrinkled 66!...I bet she would have refused ever sleep again...great story!...Like mommsy Like daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Marvelous story... very interesting blog....

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Gayatri- In 2013, we'll watch '2012' and laugh!
    @nethra- Let it be a mystery..maybe it's not a dream ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. @smitha, rajlaksmi, Banking Software- Thanks!
    @pramod- expensive? thanks anyway :)
    @umashankar- agreed. But then you can't know the future till you've lived it
    @Nalini- They'd better have invented anti-aging creams that actually work by then >_<

    ReplyDelete
  32. ok u wake up and find you are really in 2060.. :)

    I liked the idea of everything polite delhites for a change esepcailly the ones at the airport and the ones in police uniform :) that would indeed be goood :)

    and fone numbers of 13 digits well why have them jsut have a chip or something like a memory card in side us which holds all the data :)

    he hehe 2 chairs and a table wowo :)

    nice one loved thje imaginary world wish we all get our dreams to come true :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  33. Woww...i was getting curious at each sentence, ok so whats next...beautifully narrated :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. *grinned throughout*

    how i wish to be in my teens again!

    ReplyDelete

Psst... let me know what you are thinking.